Google’s FeedBurner is the most used and most popular web feed management tool. Despite the recent lack of update and focus on it webmaster and bloggers use it because it is free and easy to setup.
If you use Blogger or WordPress, it is easy to integrate them with FeedBurner. Also, services like FeedBurner Email Subscriptions and Socialize made it popular also.
FeedBurner Socialize services allow you to automatically post you feed updates in social media. Currently, only Twitter is supported. Many have faced problems using this service and there are reports that Google has stopped it.
But recently the FeedBurner Socialize is back and working, but unfortunately with no update. Let’s see how to use FeedBurner Socialize service with Twitter and how to avoid unnecessary problems.
Before connecting FeedBurner feeds and Twitter, you need to create a FeedBurner feed for your Blogger, WordPress or other blog or website.
How to use FeedBurner Socialize to Post Feed Updates to Twitter
- Log in to FeedBurner dashboard and select the feed you want to connect with Twitter. If you do not have one then create a new one.
- Then go to Publicize > Socialize page of your FeedBurner feed’s settings.
- On that page; click add a Twitter account.
- After that, you will be asked to authorize the ‘Google’ app for FeedBurner and Twitter integration. Click on ‘Authorize App’ (if required login).
- No again go back to the ‘Socialize’ setting page in FeedBurner. Change the Formatting Options and Item Selection to your liking and click on the ‘Active’ button below.
That is all is required for FeedBurner feed and Twitter integration. You should know few things to fully enjoy this free service. You can add multiple Twitter account for your multiple feeds which mean;
- You can use a separate Twitter account for separate feeds.
- You can forward all your FeedBurner feed links to one single Twitter account.
Tips to Avoid problems with FeedBurner Socialize and Twitter Integration
Many have faced problems using this tool. Here are some tips to avoid them;
- Do not revoke the Google app authorization from your Twitter account.
- Do not change your Twitter username.
- Do not disconnect the Twitter account from your Google account’s connected account settings.
- If you post ridiculous amount from your blog or website which the FeedBurner feed is connected to in a very very short space of time; then this may be treated as a spam and the service will not work.
There are few alternatives to FeedBurner Socialize services. Unfortunately, only Twitter is supported by FeedBurner Socialize however it does not use utilize the Twitter cards. If social media like Facebook, Linked In are added with is this will be great. Hope Google is listing and they will make some great addition to FeedBurner.